Welcome to REVELATION NATION a vortex like place where
"closure is a fiction" and "a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do"!


Wednesday 21 November 2007

The Him, the Her, the You, the Me, the I, The She, The He

I started watching that art show on BBC last night called IMAGINE and it taught me that:
"Domestic sales of contemporary art are worth more than £500m annually, commanding more than half of all European art sales. And this year, for the first time ever, sales are expected to exceed those of Old Masters. We increasingly desire art that speaks of and for our times."
It got me thinking not only about worth, but the self and its worth. How we can express the self and how this changes its worth (metaphorically). It returned me to the question of worth within text...I seem to equate worth with the ideas of legitimacy and truth. If something is true it is worth more, if it is legitimate it means more and so on...but how does this fit with the materiality of literature...it again led me to the image and text debate and in particular handwriting versus produced text. Does the expression of the self have more worth if produced by the body? Does the self produced by a physical interaction with our materials equate to a more legitimate piece? And how can we express the self within the constraints and rules within language?

On a side note I really liked
Robert Gordon McHarg III's (his name is also amazing) work
The representation of many selves is worth exploring!

No comments: